"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

Sunday, December 27, 2009

First real winter road ride

Had a great solo three hour ride yesterday out and about the icy roads of the rural Duluth landscape.





I know I was not alone, saw a set of tracks going out . . . and coming back. I can only wonder who it was!





BRAVO to the snow plow operators . . . all roads cleared! A heartfelt thank you for giving up much of your Christmas holiday.





I do wonder: Why on icy roads do so many of the motor vehicles tailgate? Seems kind of silly.





Looking forward to more of this! I hope the trails firm up soon . . .





I have lots to learn about winter riding. Even at age 53 I still remember my mom never letting me on my bike until all the snow and ice was gone . . . I wonder what she would think of this?





It's really fun climbing icy snow covered hills. I'm enjoying standing, loosing traction . . . and working to find just how to stand and pedal. Actually a lot more fun going uphill than down.





I'm really happy with a couple of things:





1) Lake winter riding shoes: These thing really do work as advertised! Money spent ($275): well worth it. It is a great feeling knowing I can be ready to ride without spending hours of time. I bought mine in size "wide," I think this is perfect, I can add a pair of liner socks, yet the boots feel as if they fit. Thanks to Lucky at The Ski Hut for the special order.





2) I'm using "Boot Gloves" instead of cycling shoe covers. They seem to work well. Since they are designed for downhill ski boots, they go on quickly.





3) Giro "Fuse" snowboard helmet. Really happy with this solution. The Fuse weighs only a couple ounces more than a cycling helmet, so weight is not an issue. Of great importance, the Fuse has vents that can be opened and closed (while riding). This is a great addition. I've taken the ear flaps off (too warm), but know I will be putting them back on soon.







1 comment: