"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Humbled, Tumbled, Cramps and Road Rash!

Humbled, Tumbled, Cramps and Road Rash!
(If you say that just right . . . it almost rhymes;  OK, maybe not)
CIRREM . . . What a blast!  I have already sent in my card for 2011.
Before I continue, a moment of sincere silence.
Those of You that know me, know I have made several trips and spent a fair amount of time in and around Concepcion, Chile, the epicenter of Saturday's earthquake.  To date I have not been able to reach any of my friends and associates in the area.  I can only hope they are OK.  Concepcion has been destroyed five times since the 1600's by earthquakes.  A beautiful city it is, with lovely inhabitants.
Back to CIRREM.
Many, Many thanks to Kent and the other organizers.  They did an A#1 job, right on, spot on.  
The morning buffet was fab . . . too much to eat.



Upon being handed the day's cue card . . . and realizing there were some 38 turns, I quickly decided I would simply put the card in my pocket, and make certain I was always with someone who "knew where they were going (mistake . . .) 
The race began just after 10:00 AM, temp a pleasant 15 degrees.  It was apparent immediately that some of the boys came to race . . . really race.  The first eight or so miles were relatively flat on hard packed snow and ice.  I would be remiss in not honestly admitting a bit of initial nerves.  Once I learned to ride it, it was darn nice.
About five miles in I felt my chain drop . . . egads, this is going to be a long ride (little did I know . . .)  Turns out it was not off . . . I think I hit a patch of glare ice and just did the instant no resistance spin thing.
By this time the group was gone . . . long gone.  No way I was going to sprint to catch them (riding O1 on ice, they on those silly geared things).  I was perfectly happy just ridin' my bike.
I quickly realized this was not to be an easy ride.  This part of Iowa is never flat; hills, often big hills (more on this later)
About 12 miles in I caught up with Matt Gersib (Of Salsa fame)  When Matt learned of my hometown . . . he waxed poetically, on and on . . . about some chap named "Farrow!"  Seems Mr Farrow is held in very high regard by said Salsa rider!
Matt and I decided we were having a pleasant time chatting: Knowing the boys up front were doing anything but chatting.  We concluded our concept was far more enjoyable for a February ride. We discussed how cool the "PCL Gravel World Championships" will be.
Shortly thereafter we were caught by a couple of other single speed boys . . .  off we went.  Led by Squirrel we soon caught the 2nd group.  Great I thought, effort can be reduced! 
I've spent a great deal of time riding in a bunch, I feel comfortable and safe . . . I'm happily riding along "minding my own  business when (yup, those words of terror) . . . I sense a rider in a brown jacket bearing down on me from the right . . . oh oh I thought as he pushes into me . . . which of course causes my front wheel to overlap the rear wheel of a leading rider . .  . we all know where this is heading . . . CRASH . . . of course the guy in brown keeps upright . . . the rider following me comes to a safe stop ("that was close").  I pop up, handlebars askew, hole in tights . . . oh well . . . only 50 more miles.
the "tumble and road rash"
(to make matters all the worse, I received a very specific email from an unnamed DBD rider last week admonishing me "not to crash!")
By this stage the road surface had begun to improve, an attentive rider can almost always find an ice free line.
The hills really enter the picture:  up - down . . . up - down . . . repeat.
For Rich on O1 this means close or erase the gap on the climbs, get dropped on the "flats."
At about 20 miles, for reasons I do not grasp . . . I am beset with muscle cramps like I have never experienced.  This is far to early . . . 20 miles, only 1:15 into the ride (again I think, this is going to be a long day!)
up - cramp - down . . .  up -cramp - down . . .  repeat
Soon the only check point was on me, since I was not using my cue card (as earlier noted), I had to wait (stubborn me). Ten minutes I waited until a rider "rode through . . ."  Oh well, my decision, as silly as it was, had been made, the commitment to myself kept.
In a somewhat silly fashion I told myself; "self; the 2nd half can not possibly be as hilly as the first"
The first turn clarified that picture:
up - cramp - down - up - cramp - down  . . . repeat.
Then a change . . . at the 2nd hill of the 2nd half:
up - cramp - walk - down - up - cramp - walk- down . . . repeat.
I was buoyed by the realization that all of the SS riders were walking (the humble)
To give you two ideas of the hills:
1) When I saw one looming hill in the distance I actually laughed to myself!
up - cramp - walk - down - up - cramp - walk - down . . . repeat
2) On several descents I neared 40mph (yes, on icy gravel . . . what was I thinking?)
up - cramp - walk - down - up - cramp- walk - down . . . repeat
Seven times I walked the top portion of the hill . . . and have no regrets.
up - cramp - walk - down - up - cramp - walk - down . . . repeat
By this time even my wrists were cramping. Very strange I thought . . . I kept drinking thinking, hoping the problem would resolve:
up - cramp - walk - down - up - cramp- walk - down . . . repeat
Finally . . . I'm on 105th st . . . I know I am close to the finish!  Over Hwy 35 . . . can't be far now . . . I know Cumming is only one mile East of the hwy.
Why am I still riding?  It can only be because for the first time of the ride I am on a flat road with the wind at my back!  Heck . . . no reason to pay attention to the cue cards I am not paying attention to . . . I might as well ride past the turn on 30th Ave and put in a few extra miles and 20 minutes.  .  .
Pulling into the Cumming Tap I had nothing but a smile on my face .  .  . It was a blast . . .
I had a  bit of work to do before heading out Sunday morning:
Of final, and important note:  I had to make a stop in Ames Iowa for pickle juice.
Can't wait for 2011!


5 comments:

  1. Congrats...I am very proud of you...overcoming such adversity...do you need any medical assistance???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe just a large pickle will do...next time..bring the whole jar!! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to warn you about the other riders. Hopefully that burn on your leg will remind you to listen to me. Good job out there, we were thinking of you.

    Eki

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey it was good to meet you rich. i think charlie always gets the 'cagey veteran' award because of his exploits last year in TransIowa, stealing newspaper from a farmer's porch and using it to keep warm while sleeping in a cemetery. That's the stuff of legend! But Eki's effort in the race was heroic in its own right. He's clearly proven his mettle to stand among the sport's elite. So the fact that you were draggin' him around last Friday is pretty impressive.

    Hope to ride with you again soon.

    Cheers bro,
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to see you down there Rich. I''m glad you enjoyed the hills as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete