"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thanks to the Ski Hut Boys!

My oldest daughter Lauren is an engineering student at Dartmouth College, and an avid biker.

She has taken it upon herself to begin the design of a new style of beginner clipless pedal system (you know, the type you clip into . .  . but what of that?)

I'm sure we have all made fools of ourselves as we become stuck in our pedals!

(I remember this happening to me twice last year, once on the sidewalk in front of our house.  Said daughter had to come outside and unclip me as I lay helplessly laughing on the cruel concrete)

Which direction is she going?  Don't know . . . I think she has some interest in a magnetic system similar in concept to Mavic EZ rides (which have received mixed reviews).  

I've suggested she base her design on a Mtn bike system, since the shoes are so much easier to walk in.

She is not working on a high end competition pedal, in fact the opposite.

This will be a pedal for beginners, something to help reduce the fear and trepidation we all first felt as we clipped into our clipless pedals for the first time.

A BIG THANK YOU TO POTTER, WHITEY and DEAN AT THE SKI HUT FOR HELPING HER OBTAIN SAMPLE PEDALS FROM WHICH TO BEGIN HER DESIGN!

If anyone out there has any thoughts or ideas, let me know and I will pass them along.  I'm sure she will be willing to work on other bike projects as well.

(for those of you who were whinging and whining about my lazy attitude towards this blog . . . this makes 2 entries in 14 hrs . . . so there . .  .)

No comments:

Post a Comment