"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm really proud of her . . .

She saw a fork in the road. . .  
so she took it . . .  
First a little history.  As some of you know, my daughter is a student at a couple of institutions of higher learning.                          


It is now clear to me that such an education does not necessarily imbibe one with a great deal of "common sense."  In 90 degree heat, she announced she wished to go for a bike ride with he dad.  Not wishing to appear wimp like, of course I agreed and off we went . . . hoping it would be somewhat cooler by the shore.  
As others of you know, and are painfully aware . . . During a surgery a couple of years ago I forgot to ask the surgeon to install the "optional fluid retention device" for which I have long lusted.   (Admittedly this does have its advantages.  For instance, when I am tired I can simply announce "I need to stop for a moment" ) 
Tired I was . . . time to stop . . . Of course I assumed my loving daughter would stop and wait for me . . .  no . . . just like one of the guys she left me . . .
No worries I thought . . . I'll catch up to her . . .
All was on plan until she disappeared . . .
FINALLY, THE POINT OF THE STORY
Out of nowhere, without provocation or suggestion
SHE TURNED DOWN A GRAVEL ROAD
It must be genetic
That's right . . . we rode gravel.  Me on my gravel rig with 32mm tires
Lauren on her road bike with 23mm tires . . .
That serves as a warning to everyone . . .  there is no reason
you can't ride these roads with the bikes you have
Look at that smile . . .
That's what riding gravel is all about
I hope to see you all riding gravel soon
I'll miss her when she returns to college this week.

2 comments:

  1. BRAVO Rich!!!! Bravo!!! I can only hope that my kid turns out as well...
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete