"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered."

Monday, January 4, 2010

The Way I Thought it Would Be! ('ceptin' Jackson)

Just as I envisioned:  Yesterday cold . . . bluebird . . . hard and fast!  In a word, a happy perfect ride, 2hrs 45min.

  Rode laps on the forlorn NS Ultra course, too darn bad it had to be cancelled . . . oh well, maybe next year?

  For once I listened to an experienced friend who told me to "ride cold."  Yes, this is the first time I was not overdressed.

  Another important first:  My first winter snow ride where my bike did not go left as I went right!  Not a single fall.  Only had to walk one hill (the steep hill near the hockey rink), I even had a difficult time getting up it on foot, glaze shiney ice.

  I do need to learn what gear to be in while climbing a steep hill after a steep descent.  Seems a bit tricky, spun out a couple of times . . . did not let that stop me, just turned my bike around, rode downhill . . . and back up from the bottom.  I even learned how to start from a dead stop halfway up.  Of course I am not quite sure why I am working on these skills, since after all:  I am a roadie . . . 

  The day's only drama:  While peacefully riding along, minding my own business (it is always going to be drama when I am "minding my own business") . . . I hear a noise and sense a presence behind me. Of course I assume it is one or more of my ne'er-do-well friends sneaking up . . .  Suddenly a big brown apparition appears to my right: JACKSON das weimaraner . . . pulling a brown coated skijorer.  Her constant commands of "on by" duly ignored by Jackson . . . Jackson running and pulling from left to right / right to left, out of control . . . then the lunge . . . and the feeling of Jackson against my right bicep (these are big dogs!) . . . the best acceleration I can muster to escape . . . all quite for one minute, then . . .  teeth clamping around my elbow . . . how can this be?

  Again, a brief acceleration, then a moment of lucidity as I realize I must stop and explain to this skijorer that this is not acceptable dog behavior.

  If I even suspected the Arrowhead 135 would be this nice . . .  who knows, perhaps I would give it a go . . . even with Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment